Saturday, November 14, 2009

Warm Discoveries


Keeping warm can be challenging in any climate, but for the snowy Northern climate, here is what I have discovered with great delight!
  • After snow dressing and before going outside, I drink about 4 ounces of warm water to hydrate and give a quick burst of warmth to combat that initial shock of the open door!
  • Spyder brand snowpants are comfortable, warm, delightful and come with a very nifty spider embroidered on the back of the pant leg, pewter looking web embossed buttons at the ankle and a pretty spider and web button at the waist. Besides these fun details and comforts, I found them brand new at a thrift store for a few dollars and happens to be in my favourite colour: navy!!!
  • Turtle Fur hats are knit in Vermont - I do believe they are familiar with cold there! - made out of wool and lined at the band with their famous turtle fur soft lining. The attached turtle tag makes it charming and I am sure adds to the warmth somehow!
  • The North Face Montana Glove is marvelous and ingeniously designed. The label describes it as thus:
    • Soft chamude nose wipe on thumbs
    • Articulated molded fit
    • Integrated goggle finger wipe
    • External zipper stash pocket
    • Removable leash
    • Hyvent Waterproof Insulated
    • Lifetime warranty
  • Wearing a backpack keeps my back completely insulated, even hot, so that my spine is always warm.
  • Wearing wool very gently rubs the skin to keep the capillaries from shutting down in the cold. It is also breathable so that you don't overheat, causing the body to try to cool you down at 20 degrees.
  • Of course, there is nothing that makes me feel more toasty than knowing that I have a baggy full of dark M&M's to eat in an emergency, but then again, emergency can be relative, I suppose!

No comments:

Post a Comment