Saturday, November 21, 2009

Small Matters, Big Consequences

This week I have had a small but deep split on my right thumb tip, caused from 30 seconds without gloves here and there in the freezing temperature, the continual use of bleach and cleaners, and about 60+ hand washings per day. The entire tip is swollen, painful and unable to be used effectively. SO SMALL, and yet the consequences are far reaching. Every part of my daily functions are affected because of this 2 millimeter area.

As I pondered this whole conundrum, I realized many things:
--How much I have provided such tender care, rubbing salve onto it every couple of hours (Difficult in a hand washing, perpetually cleaning environment)
--How much I have tried to use other fingers in order for the split to heal. (Difficult in an infant and toddler environment)
--How much I have tried to minimize my freezing exposure time (Difficult in an infant and toddler environment)
--How much 'little' lies, deceptions, distortions, gossip, slander, and many other sins are just like this split. They seem so innocent or reasonable to the person in action, but the pain and effects are far reaching.
--How everything my thumb touches in a day is a reminder that something is wrong and needs to be guarded and protected.
--How much more time and consideration I have given to this very small opening in my body, but do I apply the same consuming care to areas in my own character that need far greater care, even surgical removal?


I was pretty humbled by this eye-opener. Even though my thumb is worse for the wear and the care, I hope the same cannot be said of my heart and soul.

Gratefully, I serve a GOD who is compassionate, slow to anger and is also the Great Physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment