Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Some Wildflowers in my Heart

In the novel Some Wildflowers in my HeartJamie Langston Turner builds her story around two main ladies who are diometrically opposed. A delightfully beautiful book dealing with how we as adults become who we are because of or in spite of our past or present circumstances, the story also accurately exposes how we treat each other based on our perceptions. Enter then the aspect of a Christ centered, selfless love in contrast to a self-preservation mentality.

After mulling the plot over while working with difficult co-workers, I have tried to exemplify Birdie Freeman's character and approach, and have found the result to be startlingly similar; things have become more difficult and strange at work. I remember that Margaret Tuttle was so taken back just with Birdie's name and wanted to know who would name their child that and was her name really Birdie. Birdie just smiled and flapped her arms bird style and nodded enthusiastically. Some times I do or say the silliest things just to keep peace, but inside I feel the scalding tears of rejection and disgust. My smile is genuine, although it has to be purposefully initiated at times; my questions of concern are heartfelt, even if they are rebuffed and quashed. It is difficult to keep on keeping on without reprieve, leaving me to feel depleted and questioning what I am doing so offensively.

However...GOD is my resource and as I seek His face and His good pleasure, I know that what others mean as discouragement or displeasure or disgust is not entirely directed toward me. What I mean is that what I hope they see is a heart that loves GOD as well as a heart that loves children and others by exhibiting GOD's love through me. Of course, by all means they have the right to be intolerant of my human foibles, of which there are many! Rather than focus on what I may or may not be doing right or wrong, I long to have my focus be on what GOD requires of me, and that should be enough.

I Kings 2:3 "And keep the charge of the Lord your GOD, to walk in His ways, to keep His statutes, His commandments, His ordinances, and His testimonies, according to what is written in the law of Moses, that you may succeed in all that you do and wherever you turn."

Micah 6:8 "And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your GOD."

No comments:

Post a Comment