Sunday, May 1, 2011

Visiting Korea

The past three Sundays have been magnificent at this Korean church. Though I cannot speak or understand Korean, the congregation speaks the language of Heaven and my heart is able to comprehend. There are times when the preacher is imploring us with words I long to understand, but my eyes sting with tears and my heart fills with renewed devotion each week under his Divine inspired teaching. I cannot explain how there is such a connection despite the language. It feels like I am a curtain away from the Holy of Holies.

Today, I did miss a few cues. The congregation is so reverent that I am unable to discern between reading Scripture and praying, and when we had communion, their bread magically disappeared, though I never saw when it happened....we were just all of a sudden getting ready to pass out the cups. The beauty of the communion portion however was the reverence they gave to the elements. All the servers donned white, plain gowns and gloves. The way the pastor spoke and the way the elements were handled was as if this was the first time they had experienced communion. It was beautiful and full of meaning.

I also witnessed a parent/baby dedication. The parents stood before the pastor, raising their right hands and agreeing to raise their child to love GOD. Afterward, they knelt before the alter while the pastor blessed the child. The final touch was giving the mother a flower bouquet and both the parents a beautiful certificate to commemorate their commitment.

I shared a hymnbook with my seatmate---they each bring their own copy with them to church. Although the hymns are sung in Korean, they fortunately have the English words underneath for those hymns less familiar to me. There was one chorus that I did not know, but I smiled at the tune of "Go tell Aunt Rhody, the old grey goose is dead", realizing that many of our hymns have humble origins!

For fellowship meal after the service, we had seaweed soup with thin bits of beef here and there. My friend said that after a mother gives birth, she eats a lot of seaweed soup due to the high iron in it. It was very tasty! Also served was napa cabbage with spicy red sauce, rice noodle salad with bean sprouts and sesame, and watermelon slices for dessert. The meal is always simple, yet very satisfying.

The congregation is mystified that I would attend a non-English church, but when I express appreciation for their reverence and heart for GOD, they understand. Now they are just working on setting up a translator, and I will keep inviting others to join!

No comments:

Post a Comment