Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Going Toe to Toe

Immovable. Resolute. Unbending. Fixed. Determined. Unyielding. Belligerent. Dogged. Unwavering. Adamant. Obdurate.

Good Words. Excellent Description.

I couldn't help myself; there was no yielding of ground. I knew I had rights and wished the other smaller and younger person to defer. I looked around for an opening, measured my rights carefully and stood firmly fixed on the line. Hoping against all odds that she would give up, yield to my FULL rights. Fatigue had set in as firmly as its fellow soldier-at-war 'Stuborn'.

In one final effort, I called a truce and allowed myself to meet her as equals at the line....I must admit, however, that my half of the padded airport bench felt considerably small, even after I folded myself up into a muffin. With both of our toes carefully curled into the half-way crack, we rested weary bodies during an unexpected midnight layover.

Morning arrived an hour later when the first of the morning travellers arrived en masse to catch the early flight out. ( Although the clock said an hour had lapsed, I do declare that daylight savings took effect and swallowed the hour. ) Who knew that there was so little time between closing down an airport, and readying it for the next day!

As one group of Aussie travelers poured through the frigid sliding doors, a gentleman smiled at me and said "Deed yuh slipe the noight he-uh?" I nodded and smiled in amusement as he responded "Oh! Bugguh!"

No comments:

Post a Comment