Sunday, December 27, 2009

Re-Educating the Under-Educated

One of the mother's recently asked her son to tell me who invented the light bulb, just to show his recently learned information. He acted shy and declined the spotlight, so I offered that I knew it was not George Washington; he was our first president. (Always put noble examples before children) He still declined the correct answer so his mother helped pitch in. She asked, "Was it Obama?" I was floored. How did we get from George to Barak? It felt that she was trying to intimate that the current president was capable of such enormous contributions and greatness to society. Several times since, she has asked her son other questions and teased him with the same presidential response.

It gave me pause for concern that our children are having 'his' name set before them continually, always with the possibility of him doing something magnificent, great and enormously capable.

Let us choose our examples wisely and our inferences carefully. Little ones are watching, listening and learning. As for me, George was a great man, unparalled as a general and president. I choose him for my example.

No comments:

Post a Comment