Sunday, December 13, 2009

4 X 400

For six hours last night, I had 4 boys, ages 2-7, inside a 400 square foot condo. With snow, cold temperatures and a moose lurking outside, perhaps my neighbors were not as keen or adventurous and perhaps the parents had a few trepidations when driving away. However, within a few moments of introductions between the older two, sharing a meal together and onward to playtime and the promise of a fort, the evening wove moment by moment into a web of friendship and life skills for all.

Inspiring greatness was the common theme throughout the evening and I was amazed to see its profound effect. Seeing both of the two year olds eager to play with a lovely dump truck complete with full tilt bed, and expressing said desires in non-verbal forms of communication, I querried, "Wasn't it kind of Child #1 to bring toys from his house so he could share them with you?". Child #1 looked at the favoured object, walked over to Child #2, laid the toy down and said "Sharing"! I was unprepared for this gesture of kindness despite knowing and seeing that children are in fact capable of being generous. Perhaps I, too, was expecting more mayhem and less nobility.

Throughout the evening, I saw many examples of sweetness in response to the call for greatness. My heart was blessed, my eyes opened, and my love and appreciation for these future men was profoundly affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment