Sunday, November 7, 2010

Arctic BMXing

Anatomy of my shadow
This past week, I have taken up a new hobby!
ARCTIC BMXing!
Actually, it was necessity that invented the need for my new sport since I need transportaion to get me about town. None-the-less I have embraced this new activity with the enthusiasm and sore muscles that accompany such daring exertion. I dare say that even my ear muscles are strained to aide in the upward/forward mobility necessary to propel oneself on, through and around ice, ice chunks and snow. The laws of physics have taken on a whole new meaning when coupled with the elements of surprise, darkness and the unknown. Balancing high, low, to the side, counter-balancing...all have become my companions in the effort of staying on task! In the process, my thighs resemble a speed skater, my clothes are soaked in sweat, my cheeks are flaming red and my heart is at maximum exhertion, sometimes feeling like it may just pop out of its calcium fortified cage.
One day this past week as the temperatures tottered around freezing, I pedaled along presumably on the frozen five foot sidewalk when my bike dropped down through an inch of ice and further down through three inches of water, subsequently coming to a sudden six inch halt. With all the acrobatic grace I could muster, my foot flew to the side for solid dry ground, the rest of me flew over the bike and the bike was snatched up beside me before I even had time to think or allow a drop of water to settle. There was just no way that I was going down or getting wet! 
On the bright side, it really is beautiful and exhilerating to experience the sights, sounds and smell of snow. Even though it is very hard work and exhausting besides, it is very healthy in so many aspects; bones and muscles, heart and lungs all are improved with intense physical exhertion. Sickness is kept at bay from the fresh air. Mental clarity.....well, that is debateable!
Groomed trail at work

No comments:

Post a Comment