Saturday, November 13, 2010

Gripping Action

After weighing my options and weathering two weeks of snow and ice, I have finally purchased studded bike tires to replace my nearly bald tires! The fellows at the tire store seemed a bit amused at my cream stockings, grey wool breeches (knickers), how I stayed clean and perhaps that I was the only lady in the shop.
 (As a side note, after a heavy snow fall my co-worker and I arrived simultaneously at work, he, commenting on the difficult commute, adding that it separates the boys from the men, but since I managed the ride as well, he couldn't say that! I will take that as a compliment!)
After selecting Nokian studs with temperature adjusting rubber, and having them mounted for me, I was off and running, or rather riding, or rather, sliding. It was no easy task, however, due to the rigidness of the ride and the independent stearing action between the front and rear wheel. I had to completely slow the whole process down until I could get a feel for the new ride. It felt like I was riding one of those extra long fire trucks with the driving rear end. It also felt like I was a woodpecker hammering the ground; I felt positively jarred by the end of my day!
These new tires are definitely going to take some getting used to, but hopefully with the deeper tread and the little ice picks I will maintain good safety this winter.
In addition to the tire safety, I also purchased head and taillights, and my favourite....TireFlys!!! Isn't that a sweet name? They are valve stem covers that are action activated lights, highlighting the wheel movement. When I have seen a few others with them, they stand out more than the head/taillight combo due to the motion and uniqueness of the lights which is quite helpful in a winter climate. Truth be told, I bought them especially for their name!

No comments:

Post a Comment