Thursday, July 1, 2010

Seep'ifme

As I lay nestled on the floor of two little boys in my care, watching the starless night shining bright as day, I heard a little voice quiver and call for his mama. I snuggled up next to him and rubbed his back in the hope that he would return to blissful slumber. As his breathing became methodical and heavy, I stole back to the warmth of my bed, but he bolted upright and said "Snuggle'. I returned to his side and resumed my attempt to lull him. Almost immediately, his breathing was sleep derived, waiting just a moment longer before stealing to my now cold bed.
I had barely pulled the covers over my feet when the little voice spoke once again, saying 'Seep'ifme'. This time when I layed beside him, he entwinned his small fingers into my hair with the other hand just above my heart. He called my name many times, roaming his hands to make sure that he was holding me before resuming a firmer grasp.. I reassured him when he spoke, soothed him in the silence and watched his face as it pressed close to mine.
This child needed nearness, something he unconsciously craved despite his sleep talking state.
Of course, I was glad to oblige him as I realized that not only was I comforting this child on a human level, but GOD himself was accomplishing the same with me, yet with far surpassing abilities. What a delight! I was reminded of the words to the hymn 'Abide with me' and offered them in supplication.

Psalm 121
I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From whence shall my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip;
He Who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He Who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is your keeper;
The Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
The Lord will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.
The Lord will guard your going out and coming in
From this time forth and forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment