Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Wisdom of Babes

The past two evenings, I took care of a beefsteak of a toddler while his parents and brother went cross-country skiing. We were mutually delighted for my arrival after two weeks of holidays apart and he was chivalrous enough to unbutton my coat and pull it off...all the way off to ensure my continued stay! It was a very sweet welcome followed by a tour of his recently acquired Christmas gifts, one of which was a large dumptruck with buttons that say brm brrm! Who wouldn't love that!

Last night was a slightly different story. I rode home with his mother and him from their first day back to work and early learning center after these last two weeks of uninterrupted family time. After getting out of the car, he ran into my arms, expressing the same delight to see me, and again wanted my coat off! His parents slipped out quickly to get to the trails. After a few moments of getting dinner ready and sitting up to the table, he realized that we were alone and that his beloved DaDa was not present. He wanted me to hold him, take him to the door and see if the truck was indeed gone. He pointed to the refridgerator door at the new family Christmas photo. He pointed to DaDa and looked at me trying to make sure I really understood what he was wanting. He was completely inconsoleable, heart broken and sorrowful. Nothing I could do helped take the place of DaDa. The dumptruck no longer held appeal, my police flashlight was no longer nifty, the myriad of his brother's electronic gadgets lost their magic. There was nothing left but holding him, talking about his DaDa and reassuring him that his DaDa would return soon. He finally fell asleep in my arms, standing at the front window as we watched and waited.

GOD gave me another glimpse of heaven while I held this dear sleeping child. My heart has of late been in anguish for needful things, longings, unmet desires of husband, children, home, garden, kitchen, sense of belonging, genuine self-less love, kindness. But all these things are dumptrucks and flashlights in comparison to GOD's presence. As I saw this little one lean his head on the door crying for his DaDa, I realized that I do not lean my head on heaven's door for GOD as much as I lean on it asking for comfort here and now while I await His return.

This morning, the longings remain and will be a battle throughout my days, but I need to remember the greatness of GOD and put that truth into perspective. Corrie Ten Boom wisely said, "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known GOD."

No comments:

Post a Comment