Saturday, January 2, 2010

20/20 Vision

My vision needs to be corrected. I have been wearing this prescription and set of contacts past their appointed time due to budget and insurance complications. Everything I view through these imperfect lenses is skewed to the degree of the incorrection. In contrast, when I have the proper prescription, I am able to filter my surroundings through the correction necessary to make accurate vision.

While listening to one of my favourite hymn CD's this morning and subsequently one of my favourite songs, I realized that there is yet another set of eyes that have imperfect vision, that is the 'eyes of my heart'. Over the past few weeks of stress and changes, I can see that my focus has been on both mine and others' short-comings, frustrations, what the Lord requires of me, duties etc. I do acknowledge GOD and choose to serve His will and purpose, but after listening to the words of Be Thou My Vision, I  clearly saw that I was seeing my circumstances and then looking to GOD rather than the other way around. If I want to see things as GOD sees them, then I do need His vision to filter through the rubble of life.
This hymn has always been my prayer. I renew it here today.

Ancient Irish hymn, possibly from the 8th Century, tr. by Mary E. Byrne


1. Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

2. Be Thou my Wisdom, Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee, Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

3. Be Thou my battle-shield, sword for my fight,
Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight.
Thou my soul's shelter, Thou my high tower.
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

4. Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

5. High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'ns Son!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.



No comments:

Post a Comment