Friday, August 20, 2010

Cutting Culinary Teeth on a Michelin 4 Star's Whisk!

I just had a delightful date with my two nieces. With towels slung over shoulders and muscled determination, they emerged fourteen egg whites and ten egg yolks later as 5 Star Pastry Chefs in my book!

Chocolate meringues
Poached Vanilla Meringues









The dessert called for three separate receipts; the base layer as a rich chocolate meringue, the middle layer as a poached vanilla meringue and a creamy poured vanilla custard bathing the entire presentation. Each step took intense preparation and pleasure as I watched them try to master perfect egg cracking, and as they saw the physical properties of the egg whites or egg yolks change into a different form. After the first two stages were complete and while waiting for step three to commence, I told them how proud I was of them and the products they had created and ended by remarking that most Moms and Aunties start out by teaching pancakes or something equally simple, but "No"! I was giving them one of the most difficult receipts to master according to french pastry chefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment